Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Education Win, again!

So I realize it's been a really long time since I updated this thing, so I'm going to try to do a couple updates today and tomorrow while I've got internet.  (Full disclosure: not having internet access isn't a viable excuse for my lack updates lately, I've had internet more often these last few months than the entirety of my first year of service...)

Anyway, as you'll remember from last year, my school had super awesome BEPC results. (The BEPC is the national exam that my oldest students have to take before passing into the second half of high school).  This year I was in the capital for the week during the exams, but I called my director (principal) after I thought the first round of results was out.  We only had 29 students in that class this year, which is a SUPER small class, and in my head I could think of at least 10 of those students that I would be amazed if they did not pass the test.  So when I asked my director and thought I heard that 23 out of the 29 failed after the first round, I was understandably pretty upset.  That meant that only 6 students passed onto the second round, which is just a chance to retake the math and French portions of the test, because they are weighted the heaviest in the exam. Pretty dismal after our great job last year.
A couple days later, I was back in village and my director stopped by to say hello. We chatted for a little bit before I thought to ask how the second round went: hopefully at least one student passed!  He stated that four more made it, bringing the total up to 27 passing.  I was very confused, and after a moments clarification, I realized I misheard him! (Talking on the phone in a foreign language is still not one of my strong points.)  Those student 23 passed the first round, or 79% passing (better than our results from last year).  With the 4 additional students from the second round, we had 93% passing!! 93%!

Remember, this is in a country were the national average is somewhere between 40 and 50%, our results last year were awesome. This year I would not be surprised if they are the highest of any school in our region, public or private!

I have to admit, I was super nervous going into the test because I taught math this year.  Math is weighted heavier than physics/chemistry (the subject I taught last year), and we almost didn't get through the entire program.  But, as we can all see, everything turned out for the best.

All in all, I have to say that this is one of my proudest moments of my service. :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Dani, on the accomplishment! I look forward to hearing more about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you have been a great influence on the kids and your village of Yaho. And I am sure they have been a great influence on you! Love you and miss you, Karen.

    ReplyDelete