Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

One month left!

Sorry for the wait, but for your patience; i have two posts!! read the one below as well!!
So for about the past week we have been in our new training city, and I have to say it is definitely not as hot as Ouahigouya was! This last week I even wore my jacket! It also poured for a couple days, which does wonders in bringing down the temperature! I don’t have a thermometer like I did at my host family, so I don’t really know what temp we’re down to, but certainly cooler. I am definitely not looking forward to the hot season next spring, when it won’t rain for about 2+ months. And from what I hear, everyone just gets really crabby. But I’ve got plenty of time to worry about that. :)
We are now in our new host families! We are doubled up, two people to a family, just because they didn’t have very much time to find families. My roommate is Paula, a woman from the Girl’s Empowerment and Education sector, and she’s super nice. We share a room that is a little bigger than my old room, so definitely enough space to live in, but not enough to really unpack anything. But at this point there is only a month left until we swear in, so as much as I want to stop living out a suitcase, I can suck it up for one more month. Our family here has a mom and dad and probably about 8-ish kids who live here, but I know the couple only has 5, and 2 of those are in Ouaga. I think the other kids are nieces and nephews, but who knows. Our dad also introduces everyone as his “petit frère” or little brother, so family is pretty loosely defined here. Our mom doesn’t speak French though, only Mooré, the most common local language in Burkina. So unfortunately, I’m not able to talk much with her. Paula is learning Moore though, so they are able to communicate a little.
This past week was our first week of model school! Because it was the first week, the stagiaires didn’t teach, we just watched the current volunteers or Burkinabe teachers. But we start tomorrow, and I have to say I really am nervous. I am teaching Physics/Chemistry for the 3rd class (which is the last year of college). After 3rd, there is a big test that the students have to pass if they want to continue on to 2nd, so there is more pressure on teachers and students in that class. Most volunteers try not to teach 3rd for that reason, but because I will be the only P/C teacher at my school, there isn’t much choice. So my nervousness stems from a number of the contributing factors here: that I’ll be teaching a subject that I’m not entirely comfortable with, I’ll be teaching French, and there’s more pressure on that class to do well. That last one doesn’t really apply to model school, but it will in a couple months when school starts!
And to top it all off, I am still sick :( I’m starting to feel better, but still need to rush off to the bathroom more frequently than I’d like. So hopefully that doesn’t happen tomorrow at school! But I definitely am getting an appetite back, after a couple of days of not really wanting to eat anything, so that’s good! The hotel we stayed at for a few days before coming to the host families didn’t have toilets, so that was my first time have to deal with being sick and only having a hole in the ground. But my host family has a toilet, so I’m getting spoiled again here :) Talking to other people, it sounds like quite a few have toilets, so maybe this city just has the infrastructure available that other cities don’t.
But I will certainly let you all know how model school goes! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the updates, Dani :) I hope you start to feel better soon. I'm sure you will do ok with your classes once you get into them.

    ReplyDelete