Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

one month left!

Well, I haven’t updated this in a while, and to be honest, I feel like not a whole lot has been happening!

Since the last update, I had my wisdom teeth removed. It went really well, no dry sockets and I was back to work on Monday (I had them out on a Thursday). Unfortunately, my insurance didn’t cover as much of them as I’d hoped, so they were expensive little buggers, but at least it something I won’t have to worry about later in life (or while I’m in Burkina!).

I feel like it’s lame to talk so much about things I’m buying, but at this point, that’s about all that’s going on. I finally decided on a solar charger! (I just ordered it yesterday even!) I decided on the Solio charger (the one recommended in the first place), but the key reason I finally made a decision was this little guy; a battery recharger that charges through a USB port. With the Solio you are able to buy a different tip for the different devices you need to charge, so I can buy a USB port to charge both my ipod and batteries. Until I found that the USB charger, I was really stuck on what to get, so I was super excited about that find!

I recently found out that some volunteers use car batteries as a source of electricity at their homes. They are able to get the car batteries recharged as needed, and they have a strong enough current to charge laptops, too. I’ll check that out when I get there, but that is something I would have never thought to do!

So, as the departure date gets closer and closer (33 days!) a lot of people are asking if I’m getting more nervous or excited to go. To be honest, I’ve been a crazy mix of emotions since I found out I was leaving, but lately I don’t really feel strongly one way or the other, just sort of neutral. I think a big reason for that was now that my wisdom teeth are out, I don’t really have anything else I absolutely have to do before I leave. Before this I had two vacations, multiple dental appts, wisdom teeth, and researching and buying the bigger items. And now I’m sort of just coasting to the finish line. I’m guessing that as these 33 days left start to dwindle down I’ll start to get back into a state of mixed excitement and terror.

I’ve also decided that I need to practice my French! My little brother had ordered these French CDs online, so I have them on my ipod and I’ve decided to use my time at work before store open to listen and practice. And now that I think of it, I think there are a couple Mooré (the most common local language) lessons on the PC website! So maybe in my coasting time near the end here, I’ll finally focus on language practice.

Final note: I am having an open house before I go! If you’re at all in the area on May 22, swing on by! Send me an email if you need an address or details. If you’re not in the area, give me a call! I would love to hear from you before I go :)

2 comments:

  1. I won't be back in time for your open house...but hopefully we can manage a quick coffee date or something before you go!! I miss you already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani! It just strikes me as amazing (and funny) that you are preparing to leave as I prepare to come home! I'm sitting here worrying about reverse culture shock, haha.

    I cannot believe it is so soon! Do you have any States side orientation or do you immediately go to Burkina?

    Before I left for Malaysia, I didn't have much time to think about it because I was so busy with camp. That was probably better for me, otherwise I would've freaked out. But one day, one of my camp friends sat down with me and we researched all these sites about my job and the city and things. It was such a gift, and really the top thing that got me prepared and excited to go. After all the waiting, I think you'll find that you're ready to jump on that plane. :)

    Have a great farewell party!

    ReplyDelete